What’s the Best Way to Lose Weight?

No Comment 3 Views

By Don Saladino

I’m just going to get right to the point here. It’s time we realize that developing an incredible physique or just losing fat comes down to following three basic principles.

Principle One: Diet (Or you can call it nutrition. Diet just sounds like a bad four-letter word)

We need to let go of the notion that eating frequently is going to cause us to gain weight. It is only when we are frequently eating the wrong foods that you will notice weight gain. By establishing some simple rules in your everyday life you will be able allow yourself life’s simple pleasures — without giving them up.

I want you to look at your eating in a seven-day span — and start to follow an 80/20 rule. 80 percent of the week, you’re going to stick to what I’m telling you to do. And the remaining 20 percent, I want you to live your life and enjoy.

I need you to think of your metabolism as a roaring fire — when that fire is roaring, we can throw big logs onto it (cheat meals) which will get burned up. Now, how do we get this fire roaring? We do so by feeding it small meals throughout the day. All of these meals have to be nutritious and beneficial to the human body. Yes, we need protein. Yes, we need vegetables. And yes, we do need some carbohydrates and healthy fats. I do not believe in a no-carbohydrate diet. Carbohydrates give your body fuel and specific fiber and nutrients that your body needs for healthy digestion etc. I do not believe in a no-fat diet. Fats are used for energy also, but good fats are also needed to help burn fat. There are also many valuable components in these fats which are good for overall health and vitality, but that is for another day.

Principle Two: Exercise

I’m not saying you have to go out and become Joe Weider; but you do need to, at the very least, start putting in anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes a day of some good activity where you actually break a sweat. By incorporating resistance training, you will start adding muscle to your body, which will burn more energy (calories). Cardiovascular training is also a good contributor, and doing things like taking the stairs and going for walks after dinner are great additions as well.

Principle Three: Rest

This is the most overlooked principle — and I cannot stress this enough — rest. People just do not sleep enough. When you’re not resting enough, it causes your hormone function to become out of whack. This in turn, can do things like speed up your aging process as well as contribute to weight gain and overall stress to the human body. There are so many different studies out there recommending how much sleep we should bet getting per night and I find it sits anywhere between seven and nine hours. So let’s say at the very minimum, keep it at seven hours.

There you have it. These are three basic principles. Could I add more to the list? Yes. Am I going to? No. Health and wellness is about succeeding. Be successful with this. Don’t set yourself up for failure. If you’re new to this, start with baby steps. And even if you are advanced or consider yourself an expert, trust me when I say, there is something we can find in one of those three principles that can be improved. Best of luck until next week!

Read more here:: Huffintonpost


In : Health

About the author